Based around the Nikon 1 series, the Nikon 1 AW1 is a rugged, waterproof, interchangeable lens camera. Key features include:
- Underwater Digital Camera. The AW1 is the first underwater digital interchangeable lens camera. Nikon essentially took their J3 1-series camera and redesigned the body to be waterproof down to 49.2’. It features sealed and lockable compartment covers and when matched with the 1-series AW lenses, the system can be used underwater without any additional cumbersome housing.
- CX-format 14.2MP CMOS Sensor. Provides high quality images at a wide range of ISO sensitivities. Its lack of anti-aliasing filter produces sharper images. Like the other Nikon 1 series cameras, the AW1 has Nikon’s excellent on-sensor AF system, providing great autofocus performance.
- Built-In Environmental Sensing Technology. The built-in altimeter/depth gauge allows users to monitor depth from -1640.4’ to +14,763.8’ in 3.3’ increments. There’s an electronic compass that’s handy while diving, and the camera have internal GPS and GLONASS (Global Navigation Satellite System) sensors for geotagging.
- Notable Features & Modes. The AW1 adopts the Action Control selection method from the AW Coolpix cameras, allowing simple setting and mode selection by holding a single button and tilting the camera. It shoots an amazing 15fps in full resolution with continuous autofocus, or up to 60fps with a fixed focus point. There’s a dedicated underwater mode with three color-adjustment settings based on the water conditions, and the camera shoots full HD 1080p video at up to 60fps.
- While the AW1 will accept any 1-series lens, it is only fully waterproof when used with the Nikon 1-series AW lenses.