The Sony Alpha a7S is an ultra-sensitive, full-frame E-mount mirrorless camera that’s been optimized for video capture. Key features include:
- 12.2MP Full-Frame Exmor Sensor and BIONZ X Image Processor. Rather than focus on high resolution still image quality, the a7S sets its sights on low light performance. The a7S features a native sensitivity range from ISO 100-102400 (expandable to ISO 50-409600) with a new-generation RGB color filter array and gapless on-chip lens design for great color accuracy in all lighting conditions.
- Full Pixel Read-Out with Clean HDMI Out for 4K Recording. The lower resolution sensor features full sensor readout, eliminating major aliasing and moiré whether recording internally at 1080p or externally in UHD 4K. It is able to output uncompressed 4:2:2 UHD 4K video to an optional external recorder over HDMI, as well as record full HD 1080p video in the high-quality XAVC S format at 50 Mbps in multiple frame rates. 4K capture is only possible by outputting to the Atomos Shogun 4K Recorder. The a7S does not record 4K footage in-camera!
- Advanced Video Features. The a7S supports S-Log2 gamma, which helps to expand the effective dynamic range during recording. There also picture profile options, time code, and zebra marker display aids. The internal stereo mic captures audio in AAC/Linear PCM format with a built-in headphone jack for on-board monitoring, or the external mic input allows the use of higher quality recording.
- High Speed Video Recording. In addition to the standard 24p/30p/60i recording formats, 1080p video can be recorded at up to 60p. By dropping down to 720p, you can capture up to 120fps using an APS-C center crop of the sensor.
- E-mount. For the full-frame a7-series, Sony has taken their E-mount and created their line of FE lenses. These full-frame FE lenses utilize the same E-mount, but provide a larger image circle for covering the full-frame sensor. The existing APS-C E-mount lenses are compatible with the full-frame a7-series. However, you will have to shoot in crop-frame mode or accept any vignetting caused by the smaller image circle.
- Other Notable Features. The a7R has both built-in Wi-Fi and NFC capability for connecting to smartdevices, as well as an app store for adding features to the camera such as Sony’s Smart Remote. There’s also the option to remotely control the camera via USB. One very positive note is the menu system is the same found in the a99 and RX1 / RX1R, rather than the entry-level menu found in previous NEX cameras. It records its 14-bit RAW images, JPG, and video files to SDHC / XC memory cards, and uses the rechargable NP-FW50 battery that’s rated for 340 shots per charge.
- Warning: While this camera accepts any E-mount lens, only the Sony FE lenses offer full-frame coverage!
- Warning II: Recording video in the higher quality XAVC S codec requires an SDXC memory card, in other words, a memory card that has 64GB of space or more.
Not only is this a full frame sensor in a compact and lightweight body, but nothing can beat the low light capability of the A7s. For photo and video shooters alike, this is the take anywhere camera. It is always in my travel bag and I particularly love the ease of use with Sony manual focus lenses.
- a7S camera with body cap
- Camera strap
- NP-FW50 battery
- Camera bag
*Hard copy of manual available by request only. You can download a pdf of it here
Please Note: USB cable and software are not included!
LensRentals.com offers rentals ranging in length from 1 to 90 days. The shopping cart will automatically update the quoted price as you adjust the length of your rental. Our most common rental periods are shown below:
|Rental Period||Lenscap+||Rental Price||Total Price||Approximate Day Rate|
|Rental Period||Lenscap||Rental Price||Total Price||Approximate Day Rate|
|Rental Period||Rental Price||Approximate Day Rate|
LensRentals.com ships via the appropriate FedEx service necessary to have your rental arrive on the date selected. Return shipping is included in the shipping price, and we include a prepaid return label with your order - all you need to do is bring it to a FedEx drop-off location when your rental is complete. If you prefer UPS shipping, you can select it during the checkout process for about 10% more.
Shipping round trip to
- FedEx 2Day
- Calculating Shipping
- FedEx Standard Overnight
- Calculating Shipping
The shopping cart can automatically quote shipping, even for multi-item and oversize orders. Shipping multiple items together offers a significant savings over shipping them individually.