- This is an Infrared-Modified Camera. It does not take regular images.
- Overview. We have had this D800 modified for IR photography. The low-pass filter was removed and replaced with an internal 830nm infrared filter. Instead of capturing three different colors of visible light, the camera now sees three different wavelengths in the near-infrared spectrum.
- Common Uses. You use an IR-modified camera just as you would a normal SLR: autofocus works, live view works, and in-camera metering works. Exposure times are similar to a normal camera.
- This Thing is Different. For those of you who are not familiar with IR photography, the look is very different: you’ll want to read up on shooting in IR and the post-processing required for the images.
- No Auto-Sensor-Cleaning. The modification disables the automatic sensor cleaning function so the camera may report to an error when powering up if you set it to clean the sensor when starting up. Ignore this, it will work just fine.
What’s the difference between 715nm and 830nm conversions? Not a whole lot. The 715 conversion lets in red visible light, the 830nm conversion doesn’t.
There are a few differences, though:
1) Exposure time on an 830nm conversion will be about twice as long the 715 conversion (both cameras autoexpose accurately, though). This can be the difference between ‘need a tripod’ and ’don’t need a tripod’.
2) The 830nm conversion uses all three channels (R, G, B) fairly equally, while the 715nm uses mostly the red channel. In theory this should make the 830 images a bit sharper. In practice, maybe, maybe not.
3) The 830nm conversion has a “more IR” look: skies are darker, clouds whiter.
4) Indoors (especially with fluorescent light) there’s not enough IR floating around to really get a picture with the 830nm conversion but you still can get an image with a 715nm conversion.
5) Truth is, unless you are waaayyyyy into this, it doesn’t make a lot of difference — unless for some weird reason you’re shooting IR under fluorescent light, then avoid the 830nm. I can’t imagine why anyone would do that, but I know for certain if I don’t mention it somebody will.
You can find more information and a few thumbnails comparing shots from the two versions HERE.
- IR-modified D800 camera w/ body cap
- EN-EL15 battery
- MH-25 charger
- Camera strap
- Camera bag
- The spare battery for this camera is the EN-EL15.
- The battery grip is the Nikon MB-12 Battery Grip.
- It uses any CF or SDHC / XC memory card.
Please note that all lenses are capable of creating IR “hotspots” especially when shot at narrow aperture. Some lenses are more likely to create hotspots, and others more likely to backfocus in infrared. In general, older lens designs do better, newer designs and lenses with a lot of elements do worse.
Nikon 17-35 f/2.8
Nikon 28-70 f/2.8
Nikon 85mm f1.8
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR (may backfocus slightly)
Nikon 200 f/2.0 VR
All Zeiss ZF and ZF.2 lenses
Lenses to avoid
Nikon 24mm f/2
Nikon 50mm f/1.4, f/1.8
Nikon 85 f/1.4 (backfocus)
Nikon 105 VR Micro (backfocus)
Nikon 70-300 VR
Nikon 24-70 f2.8
We don’t have enough information to recommend or not recommend any other lenses.
LensRentals.com offers rentals ranging in length from 1 to 90 days. The shopping cart will automatically update the quoted price as you adjust the length of your rental. Our most common rental periods are shown below:
|Rental Period||Lenscap+||Rental Price||Total Price||Approximate Day Rate|
|Rental Period||Lenscap||Rental Price||Total Price||Approximate Day Rate|
|Rental Period||Rental Price||Approximate Day Rate|
LensRentals.com ships via the appropriate FedEx service necessary to have your rental arrive on the date selected. Return shipping is included in the shipping price, and we include a prepaid return label with your order - all you need to do is bring it to a FedEx drop-off location when your rental is complete. If you prefer UPS shipping, you can select it during the checkout process for about 10% more.
Shipping round trip to
- FedEx 2Day
- Calculating Shipping
- FedEx Standard Overnight
- Calculating Shipping
The shopping cart can automatically quote shipping, even for multi-item and oversize orders. Shipping multiple items together offers a significant savings over shipping them individually.