Canon's Error 99: the Man, the Myth

Common Causes of Err99

I’m listing these in my own perceived order of frequency, combining our experience at LensRentals with reading countless online Err99 reports. The list has been revised after further information from Precision Camera about actual causes they see during repair. One important thing they reminded me of: when we see Err99 on the screen, the camera actually has more information about the cause of the error internally. A repair shop can read this information from the camera and often determine the cause with complete accuracy.

• Lens/camera electrical contact failure
  • Lens circuit (AF or IS) failure
  • Camera electronic circuit failure (see below)
  • Battery or Grip problems
  • Broken or stuck lens aperture diaphragm – Note: this most often happens only when the lens is completely stopped down. If you have questions about the lens, shoot it both wide open and stopped down. If Err99 appears when stopped down, its an aperture issue.
  • Older third-party lens with incompatible electronics
  • Jammed or damaged camera shutter curtain
  • Mis-formatted or damaged card
  • Damaged or corroded cell within camera battery
  • Failure of the sequence motor—according to precision this is unusual, but does occur, especially in older cameras that have been through a shutter replacement.
  • Corroded battery or camera contacts
  • Incorrectly mounted battery grip, particularly if it’s too loose
  • Camera/hot shoe electrical contact failure
  • Moisture condensation within camera or lens (or corrosion occurring days or weeks after moisture exposure)

Most of us cannot define in-camera circuitry failure more specifically than “it went to Canon for repair”, but a few skillful individuals have disassembled their Err99 frozen cameras and reported things like loosened solder splats that were causing shorts, ribbon cables not firmly seated in their connectors, loose metal shields in the camera that could move enough to short or ground an electrical part, etc. If you’ve never seen the insides of a digital SLR, there are an amazing amount of electronic connections packed into basically no space in there.

114 Responses to “Canon's Error 99: the Man, the Myth”

Riaz said:

i have problem with my canon eos 300d problem facing is error 99 apply all steps but cant fixed the error please suggest me some more steps to fix it .

CharlieJ said:

This error occurs ONLY with my Tamron 75-300mm and ONLY when the barrel is zoomed past 200mm. I use the lens on my 5D MkII body and my 60D body. Neither has issues with several other lenses I have owned and tried. I even sent the Tamron lens in for repair. It worked for approximately two weeks, then back to the Err99 at 200mm or higher. Weird issue, but I am certain is the lens...and not my cameras.

Other Chris said:

My 1000D has had this problem for awhile, and it seems to be caused by the camera "forgetting" what number it is up to if it is turned off and back on. THe camera tries to assign existing image names from the last image taken, but if i delete that image it starts from the start of images taken the last time the camera had the battery removed ("reset"). Ie if I took 10 images last time, '11'-'20', then turned off/on, I get Err99. Off/on, then delete '20', camera will shoot once. Second shot, it will try and use '11' --> Err99. Off/on, delete some more images, more photos work. If I remove/replace battery, or open SD card door and close it again, the fault corrects itself until the next time the camera is turned off/on

Chris said:

My 50D developed the ERR99 in the middle of a Powder Puff Football game the night before a kindergarten graduation shoot. I followed all the steps on here and had no luck. I did notice something strange though, I ONLY get issues w my Canon brand lenses. Even my L series lenses would not work BUT my Sigma EX HG 17-35 works perfectly... Any ideas before I send it to Canon?
Thanks,
Chris

Michael said:

I have a Canon EOS 400D, that developed an error 99 with a few of my older lenses.
Turned out to be the first contact post on the body that the lens hits can get slightly bent and does not spring out quite as far as it used to, making intermittent contact.
I used isopropyl alcohol to lubricate the pin and levered it fully up with a sewing pin. I then used tiny needle-nose pliers to straighten it under a magnifying glass.

Fiddly and annoying but so far working fine without errors!

Tom said:

I have a mark11n 1ds. , I had this error I did the cleaning etc and thought it was fixed but now I have a 1 in the view finder and no images ? Could this be related or find i do ome thing like hit a wrong button ???

Markus said:

I have a Canon EOS 1000D and have been experiencing this Error 99 problem for a couple of months now after a visit to the beach. I've done the usual tests, watched theYoutube video, worrried sand might be grinding in the lens mount (no) and thought i had isolated it to the CF card, since I found a work around that allowed me to shoot everytime the warning came up- eject the CF and reinsert immediately!

This allowed me at least a few more shots so long as I didn't manhandle the camera or turn it off. That seemed to trigger it again, pressure on the camera body or refocusing. But I've just had that the whole thing fail to turn on, which sounds like a battery problem. Trouble is the battery was reading "fully charged" at the time.

If the Err99 also gives a incorrect battery reading or a battery on it's way out reads as fully charged that could be it. I must admit I've had the battery for over 4 years- probably could do with a new one. But great article on the low voltage.

Michelle, if you're seeing that many postings about Canon problems, you obviously haven't looked into the other brands very much. Canon is a bit better, although none are great when it comes to reliability. Nikon's far and away the worst for repairs and warranty work in the U. S., although it's very different in other countries.

Michelle said:

I get the error99 message with the Canon EFS 17-85mm lens in manual mode only; however no problems when using the Canon zoom 70-300mm. I inherited this camera and plan to use it as much as I can to learn the basics of photography and then I will likely look into a Nikon as I'm pretty astonished by the number of postings related to problems with Canon.

Rob said:

It looks like a lens problem rather than a camera body problem. I have a Canon 10D and a 30D. I have two identical Canon EF 28-80mm lenses. One of the lenses causes the Err99 message on both cameras except when shooting indoors on Auto with the camera implementing the pop-up flash. The other lens causes no error messages on either camera body. The display on the 10D says nothing about the problem. The display on the 30D tells me to turn the camera off and reinsert the battery. I do this but the very next shot brings up the ERR99 message again, so turning it off. reinserting the battery and then turning it on again is no solution. I have tried cleaning the contacts on the problem lens with a pencil eraser to no avail. The contacts have never had even a spec of dirt on them, but I still tried the eraser rub just to say I tried it. I'm still looking for a real solution, because turning the camera off and reinserting the battery hardly seems like a fix to a problem, especially when one lens causes the problem and the other one does not...on two different camera bodies.

Rafael Casal said:

I am sending you this message from Alicante, Spain. I’ve read your great article from the beginning to the end very carefully. I’ve cleaned the lens contacts as well as those from the camera body.
I have a Canon EOS 1000D and my particular problem is that I can make photos with any of the 2 lens I have – both are original Canon lens - with no problem but when the camera turns off automatically or when I turn it off manually and turn it on again, I can make no further photos.

Nevertheless, I have found a solution to this problem. I set the auto power-off time to off and press the “DISP” button to save battery power. I can shoot, this way, all the photos I want with no problem at all. Once I have finished with the camera, I turn it off before keeping it.

I have to remove the battery and insert it again before turning the camera on the next time. And then shoot all the photos I want.

The thing is that I would like to know, in my case if possible, where the problem is. Is the battery the problem? Do I have to purchase a new battery? Or can it be an in-camera circuitry failure?

Melvin said:

Had this issue 2-3yrs now on my 30D. Had to take out battery and rub battery contacts in a fast motion on my clothing to build up static, reinsert into camera just to get another 6 shots and then repeat it again.
SOLUTION: Drain camera battery dead as possible and put in fridge overnight. Take 2 car batteries and connect (+) posts together and do same with the (-) posts. Now run a loose wire off (-) post and another off the (+) post. Take the (-) wire from car battery and hold it or tape it on the (-) of your camera battery. Take wire coming off (+) post of car battery and rapidly tap it 7 times on the (+) leg off camera battery. Wait 30 seconds and repeat. WEAR GOGGLES!
Now insert camera battery into camera and kiss error99 goodbye! Good for another 2,000 cycles b4 error99 reappears.
Better yet...buy a new battery! Best...sell your Canon gear and buy a Nikon Camera because who needs this crap?

amy said:

I have a cannon rebel with a 300 mm lens, the lens reads error 99 in cold weather and or to bright a light' I have taken to smacking the lens for the last 2 years and it works as long as I shut of the camera first..I use the small lens that came with the camra with no problems..my camera is now 4 years old but it still works great..the lens is the pproblem

Bob McCarthy said:

I have a Canon 20D and I only get the Err 99 with my Canon EFS 17-85mm lens. I cleaned the contacts and it worked intermittantly, but that wasn't the problem. When I read some of the info in this article, I saw the reference to electronics and the image stableization of the lens. I went and turned off the IS function and no error. I switched back to IS function and no error. This seems to be what my Err 99 is associated with. I'll have to experiment and see.

Matthew said:

I have the 450D (XSi). I have had the issue show up only twice in over 50,000 actuations on this body. Once was with my old Tamron 80-210mm EF f/4.5-5.6. The other was this morning with my new Canon 18-200 EF-S f/3.5-5.6. Both times, the camera functioned just fine after a power cycle and a moment of rest. The first was during a wedding I was shooting, reinforcing the need for two bodies for any shoot. In short, though, I haven't had the extensive problems as of yet that many of you have had. There were about 20,000 shutter actuations between each error. Still, the trend seems to show a positive correlation between larger lenses and lower power bodies. I might add that I have the grip with the extra battery on mine and both errors happened in excess of 1000 photos in a short time. The fact that mine corrected shortly after may lend merit to the power issue, as my extra battery would of course supply more power and reduce the frequency/severity of the error.

E J said:

Yepper. Also been plagued with Error 99 when using Quantaray 70, especially in a full-zoom. New batteries; cleaned contacts; works OK with regular lens.
Hmmmm, seems like time to switch cameras---to another brand!

Andrea said:

I had an issue with my camera, it just completely stopped working, but I never had an err 99. I had to send it in to Canon to get it repaired. After I got it back, from then on it has done nothing but give me err 99 messages. Very frustrating. I am wondering what may have been done at the factory authorized canon repair shop.

Gordie said:

@Bharat --
Care to share the name of the repair shop in San Jose? I'd ship my Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT with Canon EFS 17-85mm Lens to be repaired. Thanks in advance.

O8h7w said:

As established in this article, you're likely to get the same error message if any problem comes up - not necessarily the same one. How likely it is that problems does come up is probably best guessed by looking on used cameras for sale of that model, if many of them have problems I'd stay away from that model. Having bought a nice lens I'd stick with the brand.

Might I guess your camera, during your Hawaii trip, was exposed to a lot of moist air? Maybe even some water ended up right on it? Then it might be a good idea to give it to someone with basic knowledge of electronics, just to take it apart and look for corroded contacts.

Trish said:

By "no one will touch it" I mean no one will try to fix it-they allsay I have to pkg it up and send it down to Canon in Toronto.

Trish said:

I have a dslr Rebel EOS XS that started getting error 99 after we came back from Hawahii. it is incredibly frustrating as I am not a pro but take shots of my kids and wildlife to draw from. I have missed a lot of perfect shots so to speak, because of popping out the battery and turning on and off. I have taken it in and no one will touch it (I live in Calgary, Alberta) though they have tried all the little fixes and we have tried the firmware downloads, with no effect. I am told it will cost about $250 to fix. I can pick up the same model for $350 on sale at wal mart where I got the first one, on credit, as I cannot afford a new model or different brand so I could at least have a working dslr until I can afford a better one. I have a 300mm Canon telephoto that I use all the time. is it worth it to buy this again so I can take it on vacation? Or is it this model or brand and I am likely to have the same problem all over again?

Jim said:

Thank you very much for the information. I believe my problem with a Canon 1000D is due to a bad contact getting worse. I had error 01 a few times with a zoom lens. This changed to error 99 and then also started to happen with the standard lens. I also noticed that some settings wren't being saved. The only way to stop error 99 is to open and close the battery or card door. I tried everything on the internet but it did not help. Cleaning contact gave only a temporary relief. The backup battery in the 1000D is a surface mount rechargeable battery. It can be access through a pull-out panel in the main battery compartment (difficult to see) but it can't be removed. I discharge this battery through 20 kohm resistor over 24 hours, but all that happened when I turned back on was a request for the time and date. Nothing else changed. I believe, in this case, the problem is a poor contact or short ahd can only be fixed by cleaning and remaking contacts. I was going to take the camera apart but some screws are very stubborn.