A Peek Inside the 6D

Of course we had to do it. We tried limiting ourselves to some size comparisons with the 5D II and 5D III.

Left to right: 5D III, 6D, 5D II

So, yeah, the 6d is smaller and all. But that wasn't quite what we wanted to see. So, as is our habit, a few screws here and a few screws there and . . . .

Disassmebling

One thing was noted right away. Where the other Canon cameras tend to come apart in modules (you can take off the back, or take off the front, etc.) the 6D was a bit more interconnected. To get the back off required removing the sides and a bit of the bottom for example. A bit of a pain for the exploring types, but I would imagine it also gives more structural support.

The body is basically plastic, but like most modern plastics it's thick and solid. Never a thought that a screw was going to strip out during disassembly. Anyway, after a bit the back was off, and looks, from the inside, pretty similar to all the other Canon backs.

Inside of back assembly

Back to the back of the camera, things are nicely laid out. Flexes have short, neat runs. The shield tape in the lower right isn't just laid on top, it runs around to the bottom and sides of the assembly for 1/2 inch or so. Under the tape is both an aluminum shield and then a soft rubberized shield. It seems a lot of attention is payed to electrical isolation.

For the electroGeeky among us (you know who you are) a chip close up so you can tell us what the various chips are. I'm way too far behind today to look them all up.

And removing the shielding on the right side shows us that hefty Digic 5+ chip and a companion.

The SD card slot is affixed to the underside of the PCB, along with a few other chips.

That appears to be the date-time battery over on the right, so you won't be taking it out to do one of those 'hard resets' so often spoken of, yet so rarely successful.

Underneath the PCB, you can see how clean and nicely laid out all of this is.  No long wire or flexes running hither and yon, every connection exactly where it needs to be when the board is reseated, and more metal shielding almost entirely separating the circuitry back here from the magnets and motors up front.

And, of course, none of this makes a bit of difference when you go out and take pictures. But I always like seeing nice clean engineering, and this is another example of it.

RogerCicala

November, 2012

42 Responses to “A Peek Inside the 6D”

Jim said:

Thank you Roger.

By the way - do you think the 6d is on par/better/worse the 5d2 in regards to weather sealing? Mine got soaked in a rain storm for about 20 mins and has basically died (shttr is shwing err). I dried it off quick but still no joy. Trying to take apart as last effort to clean with contact cleaner.

Jim, you do - at least the ones near the front. The rule of thumb is if you see a screw, remove the screw.

Jim said:

Thanks again Roger. I just tried to disassemble; but had a terrible time. I could not remove the face plate. I peeled back the grips and removed what I thought were all the screws on the sides/plus 3 in front; but there seems to be a "trick" or a secret screw particularly giving me problems at the bottom right side (near the battery area). I don't want to force it. Do I have take out the screws on the bottom plate as well just to remove the front faceplate.

Jim, JIS and you need #00 for certain. A #000 can be sometimes useful, but isn't necessary.

Jim said:

Can you please tell me if you used JIS screw driver or Philips to disassemble – and what sizes?? 0? 00? THANKS

Jim said:

Jim! Can you please tell me if you used JIS screw driver or Philips to disassemble - and what sizes?? 0? 00? THANKS

Ching said:

Please kindly confirm the materials used for the base of the camera if its stainless steel or "engineering plastic". Thank you very much

Anisotropic said:

Thanks for the disassmebling. Did you realize, where is GPS chip?

Javier said:

You guys didn't take apart anything! All you did was pull off the back cover and the PCB. That's like pulling the vga card on an old PC and saying you took it apart! How sad!

ThomasTCG said:

Gee thanks for that. I'm sure I will now take much tighter compositions, with more dramatic lighting, and less extraneous detail, now that I have studied these circuit layouts. Learning the complete circuit diagram, if you can post that too, will surely help me get the evening saturated orange colors on my prospective D6. Seeing these circuita has convinced me that the 6D is as good as fuji velvia on 35mm, but not on MF or 4X5, is that right??

Carlos Taylhardat said:

I am considering the 6D or the Sony

Of course on both counts, Ron.