Can’t find what you’re looking for? Contact us and we’ll help you get the gear you need.
The 800mm f/5.6L IS is Canon’s longest telephoto lens. It’s every bit as sharp as the other Canon supertelephoto lenses, and the IS provides a full 4 stops of image stabilization. This can be important in a lens this long even when mounted on a tripod, due to vibration from things as minor as mirror slap.
Although it is fully compatible with the 1.4x teleconverter, it will only autofocus on 1D series cameras with an extender mounted. Autofocus is not guaranteed, even on 1D bodies with the 2x teleconverter; however, some report that center point autofocus may work, at least in bright light.
- It’s a bit lighter and the IS is clearly better (4 stops) than the 600mm (2 stops) which means, in a pinch, I can handhold it for a shot or two, more like if I can brace myself on a fencepost, etc.
- The 800 f/5.6 IS is sharper than the 600 f/4 with 1.4×.
- The IS system does a better job of controlling mirror slap, allowing shots at 1/5 – 1/20th second (on a steady mount of course) that get blurry with the 600mm.
- It’ll let you shoot 1600mm with a 2x TC, although you do have to manually focus.
Now that I’ve shot with the 800mm, I like it. I definitely prefer it over a 600mm with teleconverter if I know I need the focal length. The 800mm f/5.6 is also the photography equivalent of a D cup- not a necessity, but wherever you go with it, you’ll make lots of new friends.
Addendum: Now the question has become “why should I shoot the 800 f/5.6 instead of the lighter 600 f/4 IS II with a 1.4x teleconverter”. I don’t know. There’s something you never read on the internet: I don’t know.
- Filter Size
- 9.9 lb
- Minimum Focusing Distance
- 19.7 feet
- Maximum Magnification
- Angle of view: (full frame)
- 3.5 degrees
- Zoom method
- Image Stabilization
- 4 stop, tripod sensing, panning mode
- Focusing System
- Internal focus, Full time active, USM motor, focus limiting switch
- Aperture Blades
- 8, curved, octagonal
- Low Dispersion Elements
- Fluorite Elements
- Aspherical Elements
- Weather Resistant
- Canon EF
- Crop, Full frame
LensRentals.com offers rentals ranging in length from 1 to 90 days. The shopping cart will automatically update the quoted price as you adjust the length of your rental. Our most common rental periods are shown below:
|Rental Period||Waiver Price||Rental Price||Total Price||Approximate Day Rate|
|Rental Period||Rental Price||Approximate Day Rate|
LensRentals.com ships via the appropriate FedEx service necessary to have your rental arrive on the date selected. Return shipping is included in the shipping price, and we include a prepaid return label with your order - all you need to do is bring it to a FedEx drop-off location when your rental is complete. If you prefer UPS shipping, you can select it during the checkout process for about 10% more.
Shipping round trip to
- FedEx 2Day
- Calculating Shipping
- FedEx Standard Overnight
- Calculating Shipping
The shopping cart can automatically quote shipping, even for multi-item and oversize orders. Shipping multiple items together offers a significant savings over shipping them individually.