Max Weight Capacity: 16 lbs
The DJI Ronin is a handheld 3-axis gimbal stabilization system. Key features include:
- 16 Pound Weight Capacity. The Ronin offers the highest weight tolerance around for this stabilizer style. Enabling use of fully accessorized camera packages (as long as they fit).
- Three Operation Modes. This stabilizer comes programmed with three different shooting modes: Underslung, Upright, and Briefcase. Underslung is the standard operation mode for Ronin, camera hanging below the handlebars. Upright Mode allows the gimbal to be flipped over so the camera can be operated closer to eye level without straining. Briefcase mode allows the gimbal to be held to the side and close to the legs, much like a briefcase.
- Optional Second Operator Control. A radio transmitter is included with the rental. It allows a second person to control the camera’s pan, roll, and tilt; meanwhile, the main operator is free to focus on safely navigating through the shot.
Important considerations for the Ronin include:
- It’s complicated. The DJI Ronin is not what one would call a “turn-key” solution to camera stabilization; this item requires a significant amount of training and practice to get good results. You will want at least one full day of learning before using it on a shoot. Check the “Resources” tab on this page for manuals and software. Here is DJI’s setup video, but some of our customers have found this video helpful as well.
- Poor Light-Weight Support. The Ronin has a difficult time balancing with camera/lens combos that weigh less than 4lbs. It is possible, but can be challenging. It might even require adding more arbitrary weight to the camera platform. There is also an issue with the way some lenses fit onto the camera being balanced; instructions for resolving that problem can be found here.
- App Password. The first time you connect to a Ronin through DJI’s App, it will require the creation of a password. It will only accept passwords that are exactly 6 characters long. Try “123456”, that usually works. If it does not, you will need to connect the Ronin to a computer using the supplied USB cable and reset the password. The DJI app for Windows/OSX can be downloaded here. In the app there is a large button labeled “Reset Password”. Click it, then click “OK”.
- Power Headaches. The DJI Ronin features USB and 12V P-Tap power outputs for powering accessories; however, be aware that it does not do so very well. Powering accessories off of the Ronin leads to instability in both the accessory and the Ronin itself. If you would like to use powered accessories on the Ronin, we recommend you add the appropriate batteries to your rig instead of trusting the Ronin’s power outputs.
- Faulty Plate Lock. We’ve found the Ronin’s camera plate locking mechanism to be very unreliable. The preferred method for mounting/dismounting cameras is to leave the plate lock lever in the closed (locked) position at all times, and use the included allen key for loosening/tightening.
- Ronin 3-axis gimbal with top handle & monitor mount
- Battery & Charger
- Rod Mount w/rods & lens support
- Wireless Remote
- Hard case
- Easyrig 500N A9 (for rigs up to 33 lbs.)
- Spare Battery
- Spare Charger
- DJI Wireless Thumb Controller for Ronin
- Short-Run HDMI cables
- SuperThin RED EVF Cable (required for RED camera LCD)
- RED DSMC Battery Belt Clip (required for V-mount/Anton Bauer batteries with a RED camera)
- CineMilled DJI Ronin Universal Quick Plate
LensRentals.com offers rentals ranging in length from 1 to 90 days. The shopping cart will automatically update the quoted price as you adjust the length of your rental. Our most common rental periods are shown below:
|Rental Period||Lenscap+||Rental Price||Total Price||Approximate Day Rate|
|Rental Period||Lenscap||Rental Price||Total Price||Approximate Day Rate|
|Rental Period||Rental Price||Approximate Day Rate|
LensRentals.com ships via the appropriate FedEx service necessary to have your rental arrive on the date selected. Return shipping is included in the shipping price, and we include a prepaid return label with your order - all you need to do is bring it to a FedEx drop-off location when your rental is complete. If you prefer UPS shipping, you can select it during the checkout process for about 10% more.
Shipping round trip to
- FedEx 2Day
- Calculating Shipping
- FedEx Standard Overnight
- Calculating Shipping
The shopping cart can automatically quote shipping, even for multi-item and oversize orders. Shipping multiple items together offers a significant savings over shipping them individually.