The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro for Sony is a stabilized macro lens for Sony A-mount DSLRs. Key features include:
- Vibration Control: The in-lens stabilizer aids in eliminating camera shake when shooting handheld, rated for up to 4-stops of correction.
- Short Telephoto: It’s 90mm focal length enables a decent working distance of 11.8" when shooting 1:1 macro. When not, the focal length is great for portraits. The fast f/2.8 aperture not only allows low-light shooting, but it also provides great subject / background isolation with a shallow depth of field.
- USD Focus System: A big addition to this lens is the USD focus system. While the original Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SP Di Macro offers great image quality, it’s autofocus wasn’t terribly good. The USD system improves this, giving you fast, smooth, and quiet operation. It’s full time manual focus design allows for simple adjustment if needed, and the internal focusing system keeps the barrel from extending or turning during use, especially usefully when working at extreme 1:1 macro distances.
- Optics: Its 11 group / 14 element optical formula includes two extra-low dispersion elements and one low dispersion element for reduced chromatic aberrations. The eBAND hybrid lens coating combines conventional multi-coating with a layer of nano-structured coating to minimize flares and ghosting.
In the ‘around 100mm Macro contest’ you really can’t go wrong. The newest Tamron, with USD motor and vibration control is an excellent choice as a third-party alternative, costing significantly less than the Canon 100m f/2.8 IS L. Is it as good? Not quite, but it’s close. The Canon 4th generation VC is definitely a bit better and the Canon is a tiny bit sharper.
But the Tamron is very close and a lot less expensive. I’d call it the original Canon 100mm f/2.8 with Vibration Control added, and that’s not a bad thing at all.
- Filter Size
- 58mm (nonrotating front element)
- 1.21 lbs
- Minimum Focusing Distance
- Maximum Magnification
- Angle of view: (full frame)
- Zoom method
- Image Stabilization
- Yes, 4-stops
- Focusing System
- Internal, USD motor, full-time manual, focus-limit switch
- Aperture Blades
- 9, curved, octagonal
- Low Dispersion Elements
- Fluorite Elements
- Aspherical Elements
- Weather Resistant
- Flare resistance
- eBAND hybrid lens coating for minimal ghosting and reflections
- Canon EF
- Lens w/ front and rear caps
- Lens pouch
LensRentals.com offers rentals ranging in length from 1 to 90 days. The shopping cart will automatically update the quoted price as you adjust the length of your rental. Our most common rental periods are shown below:
|Rental Period||Waiver Price||Rental Price||Total Price||Approximate Day Rate|
|Rental Period||Rental Price||Approximate Day Rate|
LensRentals.com ships via the appropriate FedEx service necessary to have your rental arrive on the date selected. Return shipping is included in the shipping price, and we include a prepaid return label with your order - all you need to do is bring it to a FedEx drop-off location when your rental is complete. If you prefer UPS shipping, you can select it during the checkout process for about 10% more.
Shipping round trip to
- FedEx 2Day
- Calculating Shipping
- FedEx Standard Overnight
- Calculating Shipping
The shopping cart can automatically quote shipping, even for multi-item and oversize orders. Shipping multiple items together offers a significant savings over shipping them individually.