The Nikon 1 J1 has a 10 Megapixel CX size sensor (13.2 × 8.8mm which is a 2.7x crop factor), and has a 73 point hybrid phase detection/contrast detection auotofocus. The AF delivers 10 frames-per-second capture in autofocus mode and 60fps in manual mode. It handles ISO up to 3200 (6400 in expanded mode). The included 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens is equivalent to a 27-81mm after sensor crop.
There are a couple of significant differences between the V1 and J1 cameras:
- The V1 is significantly thicker front to back, the J1 smaller
- The V1 has a built-in electrical viewfinder and an accessory port for options like an external flash or GPS, but no built-in flash
- The V1 has a higher resolution rear LCD screen
- The V1 has an input for external microphone for the movie makers out there
- The J1 has a small built-in flash
- The V1 has both mechanical and electronic shutter, the J1 only electronic shutternic shutter